Table of Contents
Have you ever wondered how a car has stood the test of time and remained to look new? Despite the vehicle going through harsh weather conditions, it still looks new.
Well, the owner of that car knows a secret that you may not have known. The secret is in a process called waxing.
For you who do not know what waxing is, then this article is for you.
What is Waxing?
Car waxing is a process in which you apply and spread a thin layer of wax on the surface of the car to protect the vehicle paint against harsh weather conditions
Is Waxing Important?
If you love your car, then ignoring waxing is not an option for you. Just like the way you protect your skin; likewise, your car paint needs protection from weather and other conditions.
So, apply wax for the following reasons.
- Wax gives your car an elegant gloss finish after washing
- Wax protects the paint from the effects of direct sunlight
- Wax acts as a water repellent
Drops of water will slide off your car when it rains, thus not leaving dirt on your vehicle.
There are two types of wax used on vehicles; we have natural wax and synthetic wax. Therefore the decision on which is best for your car solely relies on your ability to meet the costs.
Process of Waxing
Now that you understand what waxing means to your car. Let us go through the whole process of waxing the car. We will do it in three different phases:
- Getting your car ready for waxing
- Applying wax on your vehicle
- Getting final results after waxing
1. How Do You Prepare Your Car For Waxing?
Take an example of your face. There are things that you do before you apply sunscreen on your face. In the same way, you need to prepare your car surface before you use wax.
Here is what to do:
- Ensure that you have washed your car thoroughly. Make sure that your car is spotless and dry. Wax cannot stick on a surface that has moisture.
- Again use soaps meant for washing vehicles. Avoid strong detergent that may damage the paint of your car.
- Get rid of damaged paint and scratches from the surface of your vehicle. You can do that by using a polishing compound to attain a clear color coat and a smooth surface to apply wax.
- Prepare the location for waxing. You can use a garage or do it under a tree. Because wax dries faster in direct sunlight, affecting your results.
- Choose the right time to apply wax. High temperatures affect the wax application. At the same time, too cold weather makes it hard for you to apply wax. So, it is good to apply wax during the day with favorable temperatures.
The above process has now set the stage for the main work of waxing. Now unto our second face.
2. How Do You Wax Your Car?
When applying wax to your car, do the following:
- Choose the right wax for your vehicle. It is vital to note that cheaper wax may be ideal for you, but it will not last for long.
- One form may work well, but, it can end up being harsh on your car. In such a scenario that you have chosen wax that is a bit harsh, then you skip the polishing stage.
- Apply wax on your car using the wax applicator that comes with wax when you buy. But in the absence of the applicator, use the available material to apply wax.
- Use a microfiber towel or a damp sponge. It will work well for you.
- Before you start waxing your car, make sure you have read and understood the manufacturer’s directions for applying it.
- Using small strokes, moving forth and back, apply wax evenly to your car. Pay more attention to small sections at a time. Avoid using a lot of pressure while waxing the car. Work your way around your car and ensure you cover the whole vehicle.
- After you have finished, inspect your work to ensure that you have waxed the whole car evenly. You can use your hand and pass it on the surface of the car. If you come across an area that you have not covered, apply more wax and repeat waxing at the affected area.
3. Getting The Final Result After Waxing
Many people, after they have finished the above process, do leave it at that. For you to have a glossy finish out of your work, you must clear out any imperfections by buffing your car. Use a buffer tool to apply more wax evenly on your vehicle.
Once you have finished waxing and buffering your car, let it rest according to the instructions given by the manufacturer.
How Do You Give Your Car a Final Polish?
After your car has taken the time stipulated by the wax manufacturer, it is time to give your car that shiny glossy look.
Using a microfiber towel, wipe away the wax from the surface of your vehicle. Continue cleaning all the wax until you get that final glossy finish. For better results, make sure no wax is remaining on your car.
Remember this; it is expensive to wax a car. That glossy shine can never last forever on your car if left in the open and exposed to harsh conditions.
So, for you to extend the shiny look, use a car cover whenever you park your car. If you have a parking garage, then always park inside your garage, but do not ignore the car cover.
The cover protects your car from dust that accumulates on the surface of your vehicle.
Car paints fade with time as you continue using and exposing your car to harsh weather conditions. Similarly, it is not cheap to repaint a car.